Total Pageviews

Monday, March 12, 2012

Made in the USA


One of the most clear moments of my youth was delivering newspapers - the Tribune in Chicago .   I remember one day carefully dropping the paper on the front porch at a home where the older couple were particular about their delivery.

They asked me to come in to their home and see men walking on the moon.

We were all proud of what we accomplished that day, a well delivered paper, lemonade, cookies and manned space flight.

My dad had gone to Grumman in Bethpage, NY a few weeks before and brought back a Lunar Module Model I was absorbed by the accomplishments around me.

I was immersed in aviation - I grew up in it, and I had aeroshell grease on my hands.   If I was good, I got to go flying.  My recollections of youth and aircraft pretty much trump anybody else I talk to.  From messing around in the DeHavilland Comet that sat idle for so long at O'Hare,  to a ride in the space behind the pilot in a Grumman Bearcat for teasers.

These formative experiences led me to pursue a life of working in and around aircraft.  This is (fuel level sensor) is the best accomplishment and neatest engineering work of my life in aviation...so far.

The fuel level sender program is a culmination of a career of aircraft experience, good fortune and a little of the space program all wrapped up into a convenient aviation system package.

I am waiting patiently (I am not capable)  for the time when what we have accomplished here at CiES will reach the light of day or more specifically the aviation press.

I am very proud of the group that created this a design.  From it's initiation by a former space program engineer, it's re-vision and re-creation by our customer and internal team, it's integration by the interface team that allowed display in a modern cockpit, and it's thorough evaluation and certification that allowed CIES to provide a better level of reliability and accuracy to aviation fuel level sending.  Something that may,  improve the safety of flight for general aviation aircraft.

We really feel at CIES that we are on the edge of delivering something new in aviation in an area that has really waited for a better technology to appear.

All of this effort to design, evaluate, test and manufacture can be stamped with a Made in America. (we had some Canadian assistance)

We are most proud that we initiated the American Dream here in Oregon.

We built a new company,  we put people to work,  we build a world class product.



No comments:

Post a Comment