Total Pageviews

Friday, June 6, 2014

Flying with an Inoperative Fuel Gauge - Legal or Not?

A Forum Dialogue about Fuel Gauges in Aircraft

I'm not sure where to post this so I guess I'll just post it here.

So today while pre-flighting my club's 172. I flipped on the master switch to check the fuel gauges. The right fuel gauge, indicated correctly. While the left fuel gauge however, was pegged on empty, even though there was full fuel in the left tank.   I know that fuel gauges should only be accurate when they are empty,  however under 91.205 it states that an operative fuel gauge(s) indicating the quantity of fuel in each tank has to work for a VFR day flight.

I asked the mechanic and he frowned upon me and gave me a lecture on how "fuel gauges should only read zero when empty blah blah," and that I could still fly the airplane.
Wearily I went and asked of one of the CFI's in the FBO and he told me If there is fuel in the tank and the gauge indicates zero or empty then its just an inaccurate gauge. If however, there is no fuel in the tank and the gauge indicates fuel, then that is an inoperative guage.

My question is, I am legal to fly? And what are you thoughts on this? I really dont want to be nit-picky about regulations on the airplane that I fly but, that is my name going into that logbook and I just didn't want to risk it.
Thanks!


---------------------------------------------------------


"You wrote this, so it should answer your question.  A further question could be: What is so critical about flying the particular mission you're seeking to (a pleasure flight), that would require you to go against the above? Especially if something were to happen on that flight that attracted Fed attention, related or even unrelated to the inop gauge? Would the club back you then?"


-----------------------------------------

"Tell the club to fix their stuff. There's no excuse for that kind of Mx laziness, and allowing it or making excuses for it with the "kick the can down the road" mentality they seemingly have, only perpetuates the problem."

-------------------------------
I'd say no, till it is either fixed or deactivated in accordance with the MMEL.The whole "it only has to be accurate at zero" argument to me is moot, It is currently at zero AND it is not accurate.   A broken clock is right twice a day.
 --------------------
Dip your tanks and use those numbers in your calculations. Flt time x Rate of fuel burn = Gallons of fuel needed then add in your fuel reserves. I don't rely on what a fuel gauge in a 172 says.
 ------------------------


Personally, I wouldn't fly it. I certainly don't want to nitpick a plane apart, but the thing is, the fuel gauge isn't doing anything *at all*!
--------------------------
I'd fly a plane that had a gauge reading "some fuel" when there was, indeed, some fuel in the tanks, and reading "empty" when it's empty.
--------------------
But having a gauge sitting on "empty" 100% of the time isn't acceptable, in my opinion. What's the point in even having the gauge then? Might as well just draw a picture of a gauge on the panel with magic marker, because it would be just as useful.
---------------------
Ultimately, I'd pull the "would you rent this plane to a fed?" question on them. If they wouldn't be willing to show it to a FSDO inspector, they need to fix it.

---------------------

Notice where the "zero" comes from. It is a guideline for when the fuel gauge must read zero. This is to keep manufacturers from using zero "total" fuel when calibrating the gauge instead of "usable". Other than that there is no mention of gauge "accuracy" in the reg
Also.
Notice the word "operable" in the Part 91 reg?Is the gauge in an "operable" condition if it is always reading zero? No.
Is the gauge in an "operable" condition when reading inaccurately? No.

--------------------------------



I've talked to the maintenance officer for the club and he said he will check it out tomorrow. But I'll definately crank her over and taxi her next time if it ever happens again. Thanks! For all your guys input, it really helps a lot. I knew it wasn't legal,


But yet for some strange reason the mechanics and CFI's at the FBO had a million ways to explain and get around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment